Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Silver Linings of the Boston Marathon

So many stories already; so many blogs concerning what happened in Boston on Monday. It's one of those things, like the Oklahoma City Bombing, 9/11, the death of close loved ones or loved celebrities, or finding Saddam Hussein: you'll likely recall where you were when you heard what happened.

For example, I was in class when I heard about the Oklahoma City Bombing, at Otto Linn Library when I heard about Michael Jackson (though I had dreamed what happened the night before), at home when I heard about my Grampa, heard about a close personal friend I was helping write a book for over the internet while at a public library, and laying on my bed listening to my radio the December 2003 evening Saddam Hussein's capture was announced. I was at the local library when I heard about Boston, and as soon as I could, went to my dear friend Nan's facebook page to make sure she was alright. and I thank God she - and those whe knows - were and are!

Soon after I read what happened, the man at my table called someone to tell them the news; they hadn't heard. Hundreds of prayers were going up all over Facebook, and for those who choose not to pray, they were thinking of the victims and their families; of Bostonians. And today, at my art class, a friend said she was glued to the television much of the day, and lit prayer candles. Today in Portland, there was a scare due to a toolbox that was seen as a "suspicious package." While it took an extra hour to get where I was headed, I am thankful for the teams of people at the ready who were cautious enough to make sure one of our bridges wasn't going to be blown up. Then tonight, I noticed a friend in Panama who will be participating in a race to memorialize what happened in Boston and support those who were running there. Others will be doing so, as well.

What I was doing was praying and praising, both. Praying for the injured, the families of the dead who will continue to mourn, the survivors who may end up with PTSD, the emergency workers and first responders who will also have some traumatic aftermaths in their minds and possibly their hearts when all is said and done.I will continue doing so. For just like the OKC bombing and 9/11, we cannot forget. This is NOT OK.

I've read stories about a young 8-year-old boy being among the dead. I mourn for his poor family, as I do for the other two known dead. I've read of two brothers who both lost partial legs... at different hospitals, not knowing what the other was going through, not to mention the others who have needed amputations and emergency room help of other sorts. But I've also heard stories of kindness that touch my heart to no end; stories of courage in the face of evil and fear.

Bravo to those who STOOD UP to fear; looked terror in the face. Bravo to those who came to the aid and rescue of those affected emotionally, physically, spiritually, by what has happened in Boston, and who continue to do so. Bravo to those who are willing to run that 26.2 mile remembrance. This is what it looks like to have faith! Risking is an act of faith, and it is heroism at times, too. So, I want to commend and thank those who have done so.

Yahoo Sports! Dan Wetzel wrote, "Senseless violence. Cowardly acts. Innocent casualties. A murdered 8-year-old. Blood staining Boylston at the finish line of the Boston damn Marathon." Yes, this is the reality... but the bigger reality is that this brought the country back to awareness, and back to God. Not that it should take something this senseless to bring us to our knees before God in prayer or praise. Not that we shouldn't be praying circles around our loved ones, events, and country... but that is beside the point. What happened in Boylston brought Jesus to people's minds, love to the forefront of their hearts, and thankfulness that things weren't any worse to those of us who can pray but not be there.

Boston... remember you are loved! Remember that not all people have hatred and evil writhing within them. This was intent on bringing America to its knees in terror. It brought us to our knees in PRAYER, instead! It brought out the good in people; it forced some people to walk on the water of their fears; others to be kind and form relationships they otherwise never would have. It strengthened the resolve of many that we will NOT tolerate this type of behavior. And in spite of everything else, looking at the silver lining of this terrible event... these are something to be thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment